How to remove Malware (reported by Chrome) from Blogger in 5 minutes!

Have Chrome ever reported the existence of malicious software (malware) on your Blogger-powered blog before?


The reason why I posed the above question today is because I’m seeing more and more Blogger-powered blogs that have such warnings reported by Chrome and Chrome happens to be my preferred internet browser of choice. The sight is disturbing but what is more disturbing is the fact that some bloggers didn’t pay much attention to such malware reports! What were they thinking?!


I can give you plenty of reasons why bloggers should pay serious attention to the existence of malicious software (malware) on their blogs but I will only list 3 today.


Malicious software (Malware) makes you lose traffic


Take a good look at the following screenshot. Chrome clearly said that my computer may catch a virus if I visit a blog that is quite popular here in my part of the world. Chrome even provides me with a big ‘Go back’ button so that I can click on it and go back to the last safe zone. Just imagine how many potential visitors the 'infected' blog had lost!




Bad news travel fast!


Yes, bad news does travel very fast and soon people will be talking about the existence of malicious software (malware) on your blog. The news might end up on social networks and soon people might get scared to visit your blog. There goes your blog and your reputation as a blogger down the drain!


Malicious software (Malware) gives you distinct 'recognition', recognized by major search engines


Take a look at the following screenshot. Once you have malicious software (malware) on your blog, failure to remove it in a timely manner will be ‘punished’ severely by major search engines such as Google. Your blog will be labeled harmful and the label is clearly seen in search results pages (SERP). If you are searching for something via Google and stumbles upon search results with such warnings attached, would you go and visit that blog?




Alright! I have given you enough reasons and I hope you are now convinced that malicious software (malware) is not something that should be taken lightly. Now come and learn how to remove malicious software (malware) from your Blogger-powered blog in 5 minutes.


Yes, it is that easy!


How to remove malicious software (malware) from Blogger


Once you saw warnings such as the one shown earlier on Chrome, note down the ‘element’ identified as malicious. In this particular example, the malicious element originates from another blog (nasionalis1946.blogspot.com).




Go back to Chrome and visit your ‘infected’ blog. Quickly view the live page source of your blog and use Chrome’s ‘Find’ tool (hit Ctrl+F) to look for ‘nasionalis1946.blogspot.com’ in your live page source.




Once found, find out how it got there in the first place. See if it is coming from an installed widget or gadget. Based from past experience, most of the time it did came from one! In the example shown down below, the link to that malicious blog is generated after the blogger behind the ‘infected’ blog added it to his or her existing list of blogs in the Blog List gadget.




Thankfully, this is pretty easy to resolve. The blogger behind the ‘infected’ blog can simply edit his Blog List gadget from his or her Blogger Layout dashboard and remove the blog that is causing the ‘infection’ from the list. Everything should be fine after the removal has been made and the new list saved back to Blogger!


There you are! Nasty malware removal for Blogger in just 5 minutes! :)

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Related Posts


31 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Info Bro.....really Liked It

-Jackie- said...

I was alarmed today when i opened my blog site with that malware!at first I was thinking it is on my html itself tht has been hacked or something until I read your post that it is one of my blogger friend. I removed it right away and the malware is gone! Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

-Jackie-,

No problem. :)

Li Jian Tan said...

I've been trying to remove the malwares got infected to my blogspot for so long and your solution is the only one helping. THANKS A LOT! I run scans, changing passwords, changing layout and all but none of them helped. And your solution is by far the easiest and most effective!!! THANKS!!!

Anonymous said...

Li Jian Tan,

No problem. :)

Unknown said...

thank you

hima-rain said...

i've done that all. but my site still attack malware and i've deleted all widget and fren list but still like that.. do u have another solution..help me.. reply me soon, this is my email ririn_gust@yahoo.co.id....thanks

Anonymous said...

hima-rain

Please give one URL for me to look at. I know you have many blogs, just give me one example.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot dear. it really solved my problem.

Haiza said...

Hey there! Thankyou so much. I really appreciate your help. It's really work! Thanks alot alot alot.

I tried many way but still can't get it of rid. kinda think of wanna delete my blog. haha.

Really thanks a lot. :))

nabeel av said...

hi bro...
all are getting this warning from my blog. but its showing it contains a malware from kottako and i tried to find it in source code.but its not there in the source code :/
how to find and remove it ? please help me...
my blog is moviebitz.blogspot.com
please mail me softbitz51@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hey there;

thank God that i found your entry since i am facing the same problem. anyway, i still cant find the live source. can you teach me in details? really² need your detail. either comment on my entry (http://bloggerjadian.blogspot.com/2012/09/sos-paging-for-help.html) or email me at ms.syeira[at]gmail.com

your reply will be much much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Sira-Chan,

Go to your Blogger Editor, select 'Layout' and edit your BlogList gadget/widget that you have named as 'Jiran Tetangga'. In that list of yours, look for a blog titled 'Alam Kucing'. Once found, remove it from your list and save the new updated list back to Blogger.

Your blog should now be free from that annoying malware warning notifications on Chrome. :)

Unknown said...

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! you are my hero. :D

Unknown said...

Thank you! so much. I removed all widgets regardless of how long they had been there and it cleaned the problem right up. Thank you!

Mermaid Sews said...

How do I find the Live feed?

Anonymous said...

THank YoU....

Jabeen Waheed said...

How do you find the live page source?

Anonymous said...

@Mermaid Sews & @Bean,

The answer depends on the type of browser that you are using. Let me know as soon as possible.

Akila said...

Hi

can u help me find the malware in my site... I tried but could not...

Site name: www.akilaskitchen.blogspot.com

Regards,
Akila

Anonymous said...

Akila,

Just gave your blog a quick look and discovered that Google gave the following advisory notification; "Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including nuffnang.com.sg/, 192.166.218.0/."

Remove all widgets related with those two from your blog and everything should be fine.

milo said...

OMG OMG OMG its working! actually after reading this post I really dont know how to fix it, I didnt know the details how to search for that malware link in my bloglist. but I decided to remove all my bloglists and thank GOD its working!thank u hero! u do save my blog!n imma happiest girl now!! :)

Anonymous said...

milo,

No problem. :)

YeeMun Chong said...

I'm sorry for disturbing. Can I know what should I do after finding the widget bloglist?

Anonymous said...

Dear YeeMun Chong,

If you are sure that the malware is caused by one or more of the blogs listed in your Blog List widget, remove them manually from the list. Your malware-infected blog should be okay from there onwards.

YeeMun Chong said...

Sorry, me again. I found but how to remove it? Highlight then press delete? And do I need to save after that? How to save?

YeeMun Chong said...

Sorry sorry sorry. I settled it. All thanks to your useful information. Give you a (Y). Thank you very much!! ;)

Akila said...

Hi Friend,

Thanks a lot.. I removed the Nuffnang site.. but do not know how to delete the 192.166.218.0/ ? I tried checking the template and all other widgets, but do not find anything word related to this...

Regards,
Akila

Anonymous said...

Akila,

The trail of that mysterious IP address leads to Poland. Do you have any Polish blogs in your Blog List?

Unknown said...

Thanks allot

Pyae Phyo said...

I have already deleted as you mention. However, this warning still shows in every browsers. Do you have any other solutions? I can't solve it. Please send email to ppt1459@gmail.com .

Post a Comment

  • Commenters are encouraged to leave comments via OpenID but if you have problems in leaving one via OpenID, please refer to this excellent guide.
  • Comments that add tremendous value to the blog post will not only get approved but also will be personally tweeted (learn how!) by the blogger behind this blog, giving commenters the opportunity to get even more traffic and gain even more exposure to their sites or blogs.
  • Comments that have links in the bodies of comments will never be approved.
  • Preferably comments should be made in English but comments in other languages are also acceptable.